Friday 2 September 2016

Highlights and lowlights of a second day without plastic.

Day two.

The high points: my lovely, sweet-smelling beeswax food wrap. I cannot tell you how great this is. It works just like cling film but it feels so good. It's like when you eat a freshly-picked raspberry or a spoonful of brown rice steamed in tropical mountain mist and you can actually feel it working wonders on your insides. It's like that, but multiplied to planetary proportions. Seriously, I wrapped my leftover lunch in this shit and I could literally feel the planet being nourished by it.

 
 
The other high point was the delivery of four pints of milk in glass bottles. I lined them up in the fridge and all my nostalgia for a time when I didn't even exist was satisfied. Look at that. I have captured the spirit of the 70s in my own fridge.
 
 
 
 
The low point: clay-based, no-fluoride, peppermint and wintergreen toothpaste. I have no idea what wintergreen is, but this toothpaste tastes like bumholes. (I used to live in Brighton, in the days when bohemia and misconduct ruled and you had to know what bumholes tasted like just to gain access to the beach after dark.)
 




The other good thing is that I cooked my children a litter-free tea. Pizza, made from homemade bread, tomato puree and cheese I bought from the local deli (wrapped in paper). It took less time than heating up a ready-made one from Waitrose, though admittedly that's probably because I got fed up and took it out before the cheese had melted. But still, here it is in all its glorious blandness: Pizza Margherita sans Plastic.



No comments:

Post a Comment